Steam Ship Bellota finally finished

IMG_9372

So this weekend saw the Bellota finished in both versions. I added the missing live boats and davids and the masts and rigging. Only thing to add now is some crew and paint .

Here is the ballast version of the ship:

and the loaded version:

as you can see by adding different vent layouts you can create slightly different versions of the ship.

And both together in one picture. The Warlord trawler for size comparison. Next will be different funnels, the tanker and liner versions.

More Work on the Hunt class Destroyer

I started with the deckhouses and superstructure:

IMG_9163

As you can see I always did a sandwich of extruded polystyrene and card to make it as sturdy as possible. The bridge superstructure and the gun platforms will be done as separate pieces to get rid of the rather large undercuts which would be impossible to cast.

More to follow shortly.

The Hunt Typ II destroyer escort for Cruel Seas in 1/300

 

The Royal Navy had identified the need for two types of destroyer: larger vessels with heavy gun and torpedo armaments for fleet work and another type for escort duties. Although old fleet destroyers could be allocated to escort work, they were unsuitable for the task and new construction replaced them. Fleet destroyers were designed for speed and their machinery was inefficient at convoy speeds, reducing their range. Their shape made them poor sea boats at low speed, also exacerbated by additional equipment on the superstructure. Modifications were needed to ease these problems.

The escort vessels forsook the heavy armament and some of the speed of the fleet type to reduce unit cost and better suit mass production and the conditions. This new “fast escort vessel” was later classified as an “escort destroyer”.

Eighty-six Hunts were completed, of which 72 were commissioned into the Royal Navy and the remaining 14 were transferred to allied navies;

The Typ II

General characteristics Type II
Displacement:
  • 1,050 long tons (1,070 t) standard
  • 1,430 long tons (1,450 t) full load
Length: 85.3 m (279 ft 10 in
Beam: 9.6 m (31 ft 6 in)
Draught: 2.51 m (8 ft 3 in)
Propulsion:
  • 2 Admiralty 3-drum boilers
  • 2 shaft Turbines, 19,000 shp (14,200 kW)
Speed:
  • 27 knots(31 mph; 50 km/h)
  • 25.5 kn (29.3 mph; 47.2 km/h) full
Range: 3,600 nmi (6,700 km) at 14 kn (26 km/h)
Complement: 164
Armament:
  • 6 × QF 4 in Mark XVI guns on twin mounts Mk. XIX
  • 4 × QF 2 pdr Mk. VIII on quad mount MK.VII
  • 2 × 20 mm Oerlikons on single mounts P Mk. III
  • 110 depth charges, 2 throwers, 3 racks

Eighteen were ordered on 4 September 1940 and two more (Lauderdale and Ledbury) on the following day. Three of these were completed to the Type I specification – Blankney, Blencathra and Brocklesby. A final batch of sixteen were ordered on 20 December 1939. ( from Wikipedia)

This time I wanted to try a , may be easier, different way. I got a paper craft model of the Hunt Typ II (ORP Slazak) from JSC in 1/400

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-12 um 08.58.46

The model also comprises an English G class Destroyer and a small coaster/fishing vessel

As the model is in 1/400 I had to increase the size of the parts by about 30%. After doing that with a photocopying machine I started building the model like explained in the assembly instructions. The only difference being to fill all the hollow spaces with extruded polystyrene to make it sturdy enough for casting.

The next step was filling and sanding to get a rough hull, the hull of the Warlord vosper is for size comparison, The Hunt is rather large in 1/300 ( about 28 cm)

Next the paper hull sides were glued in , before that I punched out all the bulleyes to get them 3d for casting.

That is how far I got up to today. What do you think?

 

 

Casting the steamer

As I said in the last post I wanted to make moulds of the steamer Bellota. Here they are:

IMG_9137

Here are the first casts of the parts:

IMG_9138

And the build steamer. The life boats and davids are still missing as are the air vents. I have to do two part molds for these. Will be done next week. Furthermore the masts are missing these will be done with brass rod.

Here is a picture of the cast steamer:

IMG_9141

Some more pictures from different angles:

And pictures with the Warlord tanker alongside for size comparison:

The model as shown above is supposed to show the ship in ballast so riding very high in the water. I have done a loaded version ,too, have still to put it together, will show later.

Now I will do the tanker and liner version next!

The steamer Bellota is finished

I finished the parts of the steamer Bellota in the last days and did the molds yesterday. Here are the components of the ship:

IMG_9101

These parts are cast separately to be able to use the hull for different layouts and to make the individual molds smaller.

This is what the steamer looks like:

And here is a size comparison with a warlord vosper hull:

IMG_9111

As you see it is quite big but not as big as the trumpeter liberty ship. More when the first parts are cast. Hopefully tonight.