Making your own clump foliage from upholstery foam

As i have to do some terrain for my ongoing Vietnam war project. I need a lot of clump foliage for my jungle terrain, so instead of buying it I thought about doing it myself. I know someone who does upholstery as a profession and he gave me offcuts of upholstery foam seen here:

IMG_2276

I cut it into smaller peaces with a pair of scissors and added these together with some water into a blender. I blended them for a few seconds and had this:

IMG_2277

So this doesn’t look like terrain clumps as the color is all wrong. So I put the still damp foam shreds int a bowl with household paint and some PVA:

IMG_2278

And this is what came out after mixing the foam shreds with the color:

IMG_2279

two different shades of green clump foliage and some brown:

IMG_2280

This took me about half an hour to do. The clumps have to dry now for 24h and will be ready to do a coarse scatter for the jungle bases and the bases of my miniatures.

This wasn’t my original idea to be fair, though I nicked it from Mel, aka the terrain tutor.

you can see a video by him about the process here

I will post more about my vietnam terrain as I create it.

 

“Das Boot” on the first ” Feindfahrt”

I managed to paint up the VIIc U Boat at the weekend. I am rather proud on how it came out. Hope you like it.

IMG_2238

An authentic picture:

IMG_2241

A size comparison with the warlord E boat:

IMG_2248

And with my Hunt class destroyer:

IMG_2249

The boat will be available for purchase here. Next will be a diving and a surfacing as well as a submerged U Boat. I think these could be useful in games.

An NVA head swap

I got the new North Vietnamese Army soldiers from Empress Miniatures in the post the other day. As there is not such a big variety at the moment ( there are many more to come from the talented Mr. Hicks!) I started to swop some heads on the miniatures. You can find other heads in the french indochine range of Empress.

IMG_2180

The one in the middle is the original miniature. The one on the left and right has a new head. There is a little green stuff round the neck missing at the moment.

Close ups of the two with new heads:

IMG_2181 3

IMG_2181 2

And the next three:

IMG_2179

IMG_2179 3

IMG_2179 2

I will do another eight figures with a head swap and hopefully I have enough diversity in my NVA squads then.

The first cast of “Das Boot”

Here is the box for pouring the silicone mould:

IMG_2141

The poured silicone not jet cured:

IMG_2142

The cured mould and the first cast of “Das Boot”:

IMG_2144

IMG_2145

The cast next to the Revell 1/350 VIIc:

FAD327C8-0CF7-490C-BFAA-E3DF5DF1FEA2

You can clearly see the difference between 1/300 ( in the background) and the 1/350 model now.

pictures of the finished model soon! I will put up a notice when the VIIc U Boat is available for purchase.