The village well

This is the last item for now I did for my Vietnam village. The next pieces will be for my cityscape. I found the STL file on thingiverse I think, but I can’t remember really as it is quite a time gone by since I printed it. It is an asian well. I thought it might be nice to have as another ,maybe, entrance to a VC tunnel system.

A bigger river

IMG_5520

Above you see the river I build for my gaming table a wile ago. Now that there will be brown water navy boats available in the near future, at least after the Corona lockdown is lifted, I thought that I would need a wider river to accommodate 28mm boats. I have a modular gaming table layout with extruded polystyrene squares for variety. The approach to the new waterway is a different one. I have a gaming mat permanently beneath the styrene squares which is used for naval wargaming. I thought about just building “shore” tiles and use the gaming mat as the river surface. In that way i can have the river as big as I like or I could even build a shoreline for amphibious landing games. Here is the result:

IMG_5697

The half wide “squares” are the new tiles I build.

What do you think?

The pub gets color

Yesterday I started painting the pub. The wood is done like I did the privy. the rest is done in a light brown were I added white in a few steps until plain white was reached.

img_1216

This is of course only the start all the windows have to be done as well as the roof and the stonework on the chimney etc.

The barn of the public house ( a start)

As you remember I started building a public house for my games . If you haven’t seen the pictures feel free to have a look here.

With the barn I try a different way of building the walls. I found this mold on Kellerkind Miniaturen a german shop for modelling supplies.

img_1077

With this mold you can do your own bricks from air drying clay like DAS.

I started build ing a “wooden frame” from extruded polystyrene . Next time I will try real wood I think.

And then I started filling in the gaps with my clay bricks:

This is how far I got last night. More to follow.

 

Building a Styrodur ( extruded polystyrene ) medieval public house

The next project I started , apart from the halfmen army, is this medieval public house. It can certainly be used for fantasy games ,too. When finished it will have a stable and an outhouse added. I used styrodur , an extruded polystyrene, toothpicks and teddy bear fur for building. First I build all the walls of the first and second floor and inscribed the detail of the wood into the door and wooden beams as well as all the stonework in the window and door arches as well as in the chimney.

The next step was the assembly of the walls and the floors. The base is a piece of MDF.

In the pictures you can also see the beginning of the construction of the roof.

Next I mixed some filler with black gesso and painted all the walls , in between the beams and around the windows and door. When dry you get a nice rough surface like seen in lime washed buildings.

Next step is to glue on the teddy bear fur on the roof to simulate thatch. This is only glued on at the moment, it needs to be straitened out a bit and has to be painted with a PVA mix later .

Here are some close ups of the wood and stone structures:

More when I have done a bit more work on it!