A jungle for my Vietnam project

IMG_2563

Here are a few pictures of my started jungle terrain for my Vietnam war project. I know that the color of the soil in Vietnam is a lot more red than my soil color but I wanted to be able to use my other terrain tiles with this project so to let them be used together I had to use the color I used on my older stuff ,too.

I got inspiration and a how to from the terrain tutor over on youtube . Have a look here.

 

I will ad a lot more in the future . Paddy fields , other trees more palm trees , streets and buildings.

Making your own clump foliage from upholstery foam

As i have to do some terrain for my ongoing Vietnam war project. I need a lot of clump foliage for my jungle terrain, so instead of buying it I thought about doing it myself. I know someone who does upholstery as a profession and he gave me offcuts of upholstery foam seen here:

IMG_2276

I cut it into smaller peaces with a pair of scissors and added these together with some water into a blender. I blended them for a few seconds and had this:

IMG_2277

So this doesn’t look like terrain clumps as the color is all wrong. So I put the still damp foam shreds int a bowl with household paint and some PVA:

IMG_2278

And this is what came out after mixing the foam shreds with the color:

IMG_2279

two different shades of green clump foliage and some brown:

IMG_2280

This took me about half an hour to do. The clumps have to dry now for 24h and will be ready to do a coarse scatter for the jungle bases and the bases of my miniatures.

This wasn’t my original idea to be fair, though I nicked it from Mel, aka the terrain tutor.

you can see a video by him about the process here

I will post more about my vietnam terrain as I create it.