As i have to do some terrain for my ongoing Vietnam war project. I need a lot of clump foliage for my jungle terrain, so instead of buying it I thought about doing it myself. I know someone who does upholstery as a profession and he gave me offcuts of upholstery foam seen here:
I cut it into smaller peaces with a pair of scissors and added these together with some water into a blender. I blended them for a few seconds and had this:
So this doesn’t look like terrain clumps as the color is all wrong. So I put the still damp foam shreds int a bowl with household paint and some PVA:
And this is what came out after mixing the foam shreds with the color:
two different shades of green clump foliage and some brown:
This took me about half an hour to do. The clumps have to dry now for 24h and will be ready to do a coarse scatter for the jungle bases and the bases of my miniatures.
This wasn’t my original idea to be fair, though I nicked it from Mel, aka the terrain tutor.
you can see a video by him about the process here
I will post more about my vietnam terrain as I create it.