The flocking of the river tiles is finished

I finished the flocking of the river tiles yesterday. On some pictures the PVA hasn’t dried completely, therefore it is not translucent everywhere . The grass tufts were made with the flockbox, the other flocking materials are from woodland scenics and Noch.


The next step will be trimming the reeds and painting on the gloss varnish on the river proper.

The TSS tiles before flocking commences

Here are all tiles I am working on at the moment . I finished dry brushing the rocks and will start flocking everything at the weekend.


As you can see the original flocking is not the same on the boards, so I will have to change that during flocking. The flock used will be the one you can see on the river boards. But this will only be the flocking base I will add different shades and length of grass to make it look more natural.

The next step of the renovation of my river tiles.

Here are pictures of the first layer of the river painted . I used a mix of PVA , ready mixed filler and blue paint to get rid of the styrene structure on the board:


I will post pictures when the river is completely painted. Before flocking the boards I will start doing hill contour boards too. I want to do the flocking on all boards simultaneously to get the look consistent.

Refurbishing my TSS tiles.

As I said in another post a few weeks back I wanted to improve my trusty TSS tiles / boards. These are tiles measuring 1foot by 1 foot or 30,5 x 30,5 cm square. I have lots of them and after acquiring a foam cutter I even did some by myself. So after using them for years I wanted to give them a make over. I started with my river tiles. When they come from TSS ( Total System Scenic) they look like this:


As you can see the river clearly shows the structure of the styropor used to make the tiles. Doesn’t look very natural when you ask me. So I wanted to do a better water effect on these river tiles. But before that the banks have to be done properly. Like this :


I added gravel, sand and little stones to the river banks. Next will be paint and flock. With the following tile I wanted to recreate a steeper higher bank of the river . I used cork bark, ready mixed filler Styropor and gravel,sand and stones, to come up with this:


Here are some more pictures of my other river tiles:

The last board has a very thin layer of filler on the actual river to get rid of the styropor structure. I will do this to the others too but will mix paint with the filler to have a bisect to work with too. So over the next week I will add more so watch this space!